41.Canned food(原音频)
42. Earth and Mars(近似原文)
43. Biology application(原音频)
44.Recycling water(原音频)
45.Human rights in UK(原音频)
46. Credit card
47.Crops(原音频)
48. Drop out of school
49. Online research
50.Globalization & Detraditionalization(近似音频)
41.Canned food(原音频)
主题:
罐头食品(canned food)
现象:
1.在大萧条时期(the Great Depression),现代食品技术(modern food technology)统治着美国人的饮食方式
2.随着冰箱(refrigerators )在城市和农村地区的普及----罐头食品(canned food )出现在市场上。
3.由于电气化(electrification)----人们和农民(farmers )可以购买家用电器(appliances)。
影响:
人们开始考虑冷冻箱 (freezer cases)和罐头食品。
全文翻译:
One of the things that was going on during the Great Depression was the beginning of this sort of modern food technology that rules, you know, the way Americans eat today.
大萧条期间发生的一件事是这种现代食品技术的开始,你知道,它主宰了今天美国人的饮食方式。
That is there are a lot of canned foods were being - coming onto the market at the time.
当时有很多罐头食品进入市场。
And also, refrigerators were really becoming very, very popular during the Great Depression, both in cities and in rural parts of the country.
而且,冰箱在大萧条时期变得非常流行,无论是在城市还是在农村地区。
Thanks to electrification, the Rural Electrification Administration, people could buy appliances.
由于电气化,农村电气化管理局,人们可以买到电器。
You know, farmers could buy appliances.
你知道,农民可以买家电。
And that meant frozen foods were becoming big.
这意味着冷冻食品变得越来越大。
And, you know, at that time, few people could afford to buy them during the early years of the Great Depression.
你知道,在那个时候,在经济大萧条的早期,很少有人能买得起。
But, you know, gradually, these things picked up.
但是,你知道,渐渐地,这些事情开始发生了。
And so this was, like, the sort of beginning of the era when people were starting to think about supermarkets with rows and rows of freezer cases and rows and rows of canned foods.
所以这就像是,那个时代的开始人们开始想到超市里面有一排排的冷冻柜和一排排的罐头食品。
42. Earth and Mars(近似原文)
定义:
火星(Mars)是一个有趣的行星(interesting planets)。
火星上的发现:
1.火星没有太多的大气(not much atmosphere),但发现了稀有气体(rare gases), 还有一定量的水以冰的形式存在。
2.火星上有薄薄的大气(atmosphere),气体在低重力下不会蒸发。
火星和地球的关系:
1.火星离地球不远(not far away)。
2.火星的地貌(landscape)和地质表面(geological surface)与地球相似。
结论:
火星可能是除了地球之外最理想的目的地(ideal destination)。
全文翻译:
We are going to look at an very interesting and important place today.
今天我们要看一个非常有趣和重要的地方。
It is called the Mars which is not far away from the Earth.
它叫火星,离地球不远。
Mars is an interesting neighboring planet to Earth with a similar geological surface and landscape, such as the desert, covered with rocks.
火星是一个有趣的与地球相邻的行星,有着相似的地质表面和景观,比如沙漠,覆盖着岩石。
Although there has not been evidence for the existence of water yet, the trace of heavy gases has existed on Mars for billions of years.
虽然还没有证据证明水的存在,但重质气体的痕迹已经在火星上存在了数十亿年。
Traces of a great amount of water in icy form just like mountains have been found.
人们发现了大量冰状水的痕迹,就像山脉一样。
There is not much atmosphere, but rare gases are still found.
大气不多,但仍能发现稀有气体。
It is possibly because heavy gases do not evaporate within a low gravity.
这可能是因为重气体在低重力下不会蒸发。
The low gravity on Mars indicates that there may be a thin layer of the atmosphere on Mars.
火星上的低重力表明火星上可能有一层薄薄的大气层。
Therefore, Mars might be the most ideal destination other than Earth.
因此,火星可能是除地球之外最理想的目的地。
43. Biology application(原音频)
主题:
生物系统中(biological systems)的应用(applications)。
影响:
合成生物学(Synthetic biology)是基因工程(genetic engineering)的下一个层次( level)。
现象对比:
1. 之前,科学家和工程师(scientists and engineers)可以将DNA从一个生物体剪切粘贴(cut and paste)到另一个生物体(organism)。
2. 如今,他们可以用新技术重写(rewrite)和合成(synthesize)DNA来创造新的生物。
3. 此外,科学家们正在建造一个细胞工厂(cellular factory),培育数以百万计的细菌(bacteria)。
全文翻译:
我的实验室致力于合成生物学的应用,所以我们对用生物系统做有用的事情非常感兴趣。
My lab works on the applications of synthetic biology, so we're very interested in doing useful things with biological systems.
到目前为止,生命已经进化了,现在我们实际上有能力和力量来设计它。
Up to now, life has evolved, and now we actually have the ability and the power to engineer it, to design it.
所以我很好奇未来的自然世界会是什么样子。
And so I'm curious about what the natural world is going to look like in the future.
所以合成生物学是基因工程的下一个层次。
So synthetic biology is sort of the next level of genetic engineering.
所以大约40年前,我们作为科学家和工程师,开发了一种技术,基本上可以将DNA片段从一个生物体转移到另一个生物体。
So about 40years ago, we being scientists and engineers, developed techniques to basically move pieces of DNA from one organism to another.
这是通过物理剪切和粘贴完成的。
And this was sort of done by physically cutting and pasting.
现在我们已经超越了这一点,我们可以编写DNA,所以我们不再局限于片段。
Now we're moving beyond that where we can write DNA so we're no longer limited to the pieces.
我们可以从一个地方剪下来,放进另一个。
We can cut from one and put in another.
我们可以用化学方法在机器上合成这种DNA,然后把它放入一个有机体中。
We can chemically synthesize this DNA on a machine and put that into an organism.
现在我们甚至可以完全从零开始创造新的生物。
And now we can even create new organisms completely from scratch.
所以,如果你想象一个细胞被编程来制造有用的化合物,比如说,材料或药物,那么你所拥有的基本上是一个微型制造单元。
So if you imagine a cell that's programed to make a useful compound, say, material or drug, then what you have is basically a micro-scale manufacturing unit.
它基本上是一个细胞工厂。
It's basically a cellular factory.
细胞工厂很酷的一点是当你想要更多的工厂时,你会喜欢细胞生长和分裂。
And the cool thing about cellular factory is that when you want more factories, you love that cell grow and