Chapter 1 First Sight——3
Flying doesn't bother me; the hour in the car with Charlie, though, I was a little worried about.
坐飞机没有使我厌烦,但是在车里的一个小时我和查理在一起,我还是有一点担心
Charlie had really been fairly nice about the whole thing.
查理是家里所有东西的宝贝
been fairly nice about 想当的接受某事
查理对整件事相当的接受。
He seemed genuinely pleased that I was coming to live with him for the first time with any degree of permanence.
他看起来很欢迎,对于我第一次没有任何顾虑过来和他一起生活
with any degree of permanence. 几乎永久性的
他真的很高兴,因为这是我第一次,也几乎是永久性的搬来和他住在一起。
He'd already gotten me registered for highschool and was going to help me get a car.
他已经帮我注册了高中然后帮我弄到了一辆车子
was going to 打算
还打算帮我弄辆车。
But it was sure to be awkward with Charlie. Neither of us was what anyone would call verbose,
但是不是说查理就是笨拙的,我们两个都是唠叨的,
and I didn't know what there was to say regardless.
我说话不着边际的说着
但和查理相处仍毫无疑问地是件尴尬事。我们都不擅长谈话,我也不知道有什么事情可以让我们毫无顾忌地谈论。
I knew he was more than a little confused by my decision — like my mother before me, I hadn't made a secret of my distaste for Forks.
我知道他对于我的决定有一些疑虑,就像我妈妈对我一样,我没有把我去福克斯作为一个秘密。
before me,就像我母亲在我面前表现的那样
distaste 厌恶。
我知道他对我的决定仍有些困惑,就像我母亲在我面前表现的那样,因为我从未掩饰过我对福克斯的厌恶。
When I landed in Port Angeles, it was raining. I didn't see it as an omen— just unavoidable. I'd already said my goodbyes to the sun.
当我到了PA,毫无预见的下雨了,突如其来的雨让我躲避不及。我已经和太阳说拜拜了
Charlie was waiting for me with the cruiser. This I was expecting, too.
查理斯在巡逻车等着我,就像我期待的那样
Charlie is Police Chief Swan to the good people of Forks.
查理斯是一个警察,是福克斯的好人。
查理是福克斯镇的良好市民的史温警长。
My primary motivation behind buying a car,
我最初的打算是之后再买一辆车
despite the scarcity of my funds,
尽管我没有足够的钱
was that I refused to be driven around town in a car with red and blue lightson top.
我拒绝让红蓝灯光一闪一闪的这样开到城市
Nothing slows down traffic like a cop.
没有东西能像巡警一样减速交通
我虽然囊中羞涩也要买辆车的主要动机,就是不想坐着顶上有红蓝色灯的车在镇里乱晃。警察可是造成交通堵塞的万恶之首。