TPO-14 C2 Prepare for a career in journalism
TPO-14 C2 Prepare for a career in journalism
第 1 段
1.Listen to a conversation between a student and his faculty adviser.
请听一段学生和指导老师之间的对话。
第 2 段
1.Hi, Steve, I schedule this appointment, cause it has been a while since we touched base.
Hi, Steven,我安排了此次会面,因为自从我们开始这事一开已经有一段时间了。
第 3 段
1.I know, I have been very busy. A friend of mine works on the school paper.
我知道,最近我一直很忙,我的一个朋友正在忙于写论文。
2.He asks me if I would like to try to reporting so I did and I really love it.
他问我是否可以帮他写一些报道,我答应了,我也真的挺喜欢的。
第 4 段
1.Hey... that's sounds great!
嗨,听起来很不错。
第 5 段
1.Yeah... the first article I wrote, it was profile of the chemistry professor_ the one who was the named teacher of the year.
是的,我写的第一篇报道,是关于化学老师的简介,这名化学老师被评为年度教师。
2.My article ran on the front page.
我的文章登上校报头版。
3.When I saw my name, I mean my byline in print, I was hooked.
当我看到自己的名字时,就是看到作者一栏打出我的名字时,我开始入迷了。
4.Now I know this is what I want to do - be a reporter.
现在我知道,这就是我要做的——成为一名记者。
第 6 段
1.Isn't it great to discover something that you really enjoy?
发现自己真的很喜欢的东西不是很妙的事吗?
2.And I read that article too. It was very good.
我也读了那篇文章了,写的真不错。
第 7 段
1.To be honest, the articles got a lot of editing. In fact I barely recognized a couple of paragraphs.
老实说,那篇文章被修改了很多。事实上我几乎认不得其中几段话了。
2.But the editor explained why the changes were made.
但编辑跟我解释为什么会有这样的改动。
3.I learned a lot and my second article didn't need nearly as many changes.
我学到了不少,第二篇文章就几乎没有被改动过。
第 8 段
1.Sound like you got a real knack for this.
似乎你已经找到突破口了。
第 9 段
1.Yeah... anyway, I am glad you schedule this meeting because I want to change my major to journalism now.
是的,不管怎样,我很乐意你安排了此次会面,因为我现在真想转为新闻专业。
第 10 段
1.Um... the university doesn't offer major in journalism.
嗯,但学校没有开设新闻专业。
第 11 段
1.Oh no...
哦不会吧。
第 12 段
1.But...
但是……
第 13 段
1.I... I mean... should I transfer to another school, or major in English?
我,我的意思是,我应该转学到其他学校吗,或转为英语专业?
第 14 段
1.Er... wait a minute. Let me explain why the major isn't offered.
额,等一下。我来给你解释下为什么不开设这门专业。
2.Editors at the newspapers... editors... um...
报纸的编辑,嗯,
3.I mean when you apply for a reporting job, editors look at the two things: they want to see clips, you know, some of your published articles; they also want you to try out. They'll give you an assignment like... covering a press conference or some other event, then see if you can craft the story about it, accurately, on deadline.
我的意思是,当你申请记者的工作时,编辑会考察两方面的东西。他们会要看某些剪辑,你知道,你一些发表了的文章。他们也要进行选拔,他们会给你一项任务,比如,播放某些场合的会议内容,然后看看你能否在截止日期之前,写出一篇新闻稿来。
第 15 段
1.So they don't even to look at my major?
那么他们甚至不看你是什么专业的?
第 16 段
1.It is not that they don't look at it... it is... well, having a degree in something other than journalism should actually work to your advantage.
并不是说他们不看,而是,嗯,获取其他专业的学位而不是新闻业,应该会对你的工作更有利。
第 17 段
1.How?
怎样个有利法
第 18 段
1.Most journalists specialized these days. They only write about science or business or technology for example.
现在很多专业记者,比如说,他们只写关于科技和商业的文章。
2.Is there a type of reporting you think you may like to specialize then?
你是否有某一类型的报道是你擅长的
第 19 段
1.Well... I think it can be really cool to cover the Supreme Court.
嗯,我想报道最高法院应该是个不错的选择。
2.I mean... their decision affects so many people.
我的意思是,他们的决定是怎样影响群众的。
第 20 段
1.That is really a goal worth striving for.
这确实是一个值得为之努力的目标。
2.So, why not continue major in political science?
那么,为什么不继续读政治科学呢?
3.And as electives, you could take some Pre-Law classes like constitutional Law, and as for you work on the student newspaper paper, maybe they let you cover some local court cases once that the student and professor here would want to read about.
同时你还可以选修一些法律预备课程,像宪法,而对你来说,在学生报社工作,一旦这里的学生和老师想读相关的文章了,他们可能就会让你报道一些当地法庭的案件。
第 21 段
1.Do you know of any?
那你知道哪些案件吗?
第 22 段
1.I do, actually. There is case involving this computer software program that one of our professors wrote.
我知道,事实上,有关于计算机软件程序的案件,是我们这里一位老师写的文章。
2.** **
第 23 段
1.Wow... I will definitely follow up on that!
哇,我一定要跟踪报道。