Which is the best place to work: Facebook, Palantir, or Quora?

在Facebook,palantir和quora这三家公司中,那家是最理想的上班的地方?

Some relevant details:
相关细节:
  • I want to start my own software company at some point in the future. I
  • 我想在将来某个时间创立我自己的软件公司。
  •  already hack on side projects for fun all the time, but I want to take it to
  • 我已经全力在做一个感兴趣的项目,但是我想让它继续扩大,
  •  the next level and start a company.
  • 并且创建一家公司。
  • I'm an undergrad right now.
  • 我是一名在读的本科生。
  • I worked at Facebook last summer.
  • 我去年夏天在Facebook工作。

The question rephrased: Which company (Facebook, Palantir, or Quora)
更新的问题:那家公司(Facebook,palantir,或者quora)
 would best prepare a would-be entrepreneur/hacker for future startup
会是最适合我成为一名未来成功的企业家或者一名黑客?
 success?

2 Answers

Ish HarshawatEntrepreneur
If you want to be an entrepreneur skip all those options and apply to YCombinator,
假如你想成为一名企业家,直接跳过这些事项的话,那就申请YCombinator,
 TechStars, or one of many other incubator programs. You'll have the funding then to
TechStars,或者其他的一些孵化项目中的一个。你得到资金后,就可以至少开始启
 at least do your first startup.
动你的第一次创业了。

If you already know your end goal then go for the most direct route to it.
假如你已经知道你的最终目标,那么就以一种最直接的方式开始吧。

When I came out of school I ended up working at Siebel which, at the time, was
当我从学校毕业后,我结束了在Siebel的工作,在当时,Siebel被认为
 considered a great big tech company to work for (along with maybe Microsoft,
是一家大型的科技公司,该公司是和一些大公司进行合作(也许是Microsoft,
 Oracle, Amazon, Google, and a few others). My reasoning at the time was I'll learn
Oracle,亚马逊,google,以及其他的一些公司)。当时我离开的理由是我想去学习
 the trade and then when I'm ready I'll start a company. I eventually did, but not until
商业并且在我准备充分以后,创办一个公司。我最终也是这么做的,但是并不是
 working at a startup first. It was 7 years from finishing school to my first startup. 
一开始就是这样,从我学校毕业到第一次创业花了7年时间。

I learned a lot working at those companies and met some great people. But the
我在这些公司学到了许多经验,同时也遇到了很多优秀的人。但是,创建一个公司
 skills in starting a company are unique enough that you learn more by just doing it.
所需要的技能,仅仅通过你去学更多的经验是不够的,而必须去实践。
 In hindsight I would have been better off just starting a company to begin with. 
如今,我觉得关闭一家一开始就创业而没有任何经验的公司会更好点。
Unlike when I came out of school, right now there is a lot of funding available to start
当我离开学校时,不像现在,有一些资金可以去做一些事情。
 something. Moreover, being young is an asset not a hindrance. If you can build a
此外,年轻也是一种资本而不是一种障碍。假如你能够创建一个产品的话,
 product, I really don't see the argument for working at a big company first if what
我真的不认同这种观点,即 要先在一家大公司工作,成为你是否最终能够创建公司的
 you eventually want to do is start a company.
一个条件。

Shu UesugiI work at Palantir.
3 votes by Shiwei SongDan Robinson and Anon User
I worked at Facebook and currently work at Palantir. I believe all of those companies
我曾在Facebook工作,目前在palantir工作。我认为,这些所有的公司都想让你把 在
 will want you to make your work at the company the primary focus of your life.
公司的工作作为你生活的焦点。
If you are planning to spend a lot of time on your side projects, I suggest starting a
假如你打算花一些实践在你自己的项目上面,我建议你在毕业后,或者
 company right after you graduate college or join a company where you'll only need 
加入一家每周真正工作20小时的公司后,创办一家公司。
to do 20 hours of "real" work per week.

It also depends on what your startup will be about. If you are interested in targeting
这也取决于你的计划是什么,假如你对企业客户感兴趣,palantir会提供最好的学习
 enterprise customers, Palantir will provide some of the best learning experiences.
经验。
 We have a business development engineer (BDE) position
我们目前有给一个业务开发工程师的职位(http://www.palantir.com/careers/...)。
 (http://www.palantir.com/careers/...). BDE folks work with customers directly and
该职位是直接面向客户的,他们是最聪明的工程师。但同样,你要华大量的时间在
 are also the brightest engineers. But again, you should expect to spend substantial
 amount of your time working on Palantir and not for your side projects.
palantir工作,而不是在你自己的项目上面。

posted on 2011-03-01 11:30  gapcloud  阅读(186)  评论(0编辑  收藏  举报

导航